Carbon Monoxide

Additional Resources

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can be deadly – it is a colourless and odourless gas that can come from malfunctioning heating systems and pipes, or any vehicle or appliance that burns fuel. If you recognize symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning such as headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion, chest pain and/or vomiting, go outdoors and seek help immediately.


  • Install CO detectors outside bedrooms and test them regularly.
  • Keep your heating system clean and in good working order.
  • Do not heat your home with a gas stove or oven and do not use gas-powered appliances or barbeques indoors.
  • Vehicle exhaust contains CO, so avoid running your car in enclosed areas like garages.


  • If you suspect CO poisoning go outside immediately and call 9-1-1.


  • Do not return home until your house has been tested for CO and repaired by a professional.
  • Replace CO detectors if it has been over five years, or if they are malfunctioning.