Climate change has the potential to profoundly impact our health, our economy and our natural environment. Warming sea temperatures change global weather patterns, leading to conditions of extreme heat, cold, drought and precipitation.
Climate change is expected to increase the severity of natural disasters. From floods, to wildfires, to landslides triggered by melting permafrost, the SLRD is vulnerable to a number of climate-related hazards.
SLRD community members are asked to help mitigate the effects of climate change by preparing for this increased hazard risk:
- FireSmart your home
- Acquire adequate insurance
- Build a 72-Hour Kit
- Consider climate change impacts to your business
In the big picture, we also ask that you care for the environment:
- Reduce fossil fuel emissions
- Participate in our recycling and composting programs
- Practice water conservation
- Be mindful of your environmental impact
- Be considerate of future generations who will live and play in the SLRD