It is important to develop a plan for the critical functions of your business, so that you can continue to provide for your customers and community in an emergency event. Make sure you plan ahead to do the following:
- Assess the risks of emergencies to your business and the associated needs for operation throughout an emergency.
- Build in redundancy, simplify operations and attain emergency back-up supplies and suppliers.
- Ensure employees are aware of what to do in an emergency and that they have access to an emergency kit.
- Back up all of your documentation off-site.
- Prepare for a utilities disruption by acquiring backup water and power sources. Ensure you have a paper-based method of keeping records.
- Know your insurance policy and coverage in the event of an emergency.