If you have special needs, require personal attendant care or use life-sustaining equipment:
- Arrange in advance for someone to check on you in the event of an emergency.
- Know the location of evacuation shelters that are wheel chair accessible.
- Wear a MedicAlert bracelet or carry an identification card.
- Carry a personal alarm that emits a loud noise to draw attention to your wearabouts.
- Label your equipment and attach instructions on how to use and transport it.
Your emergency kit should include:
- Prescription drugs, medical supplies and special equipment
- Any information sheet about your special needs or disability
- Foods that meet your dietary needs
- A detailed list of all prescriptions and medications
Assisting People with Disabilities or Special Needs:
- Always ask if a person wants or needs your help. Do not touch the person, their service animal or their assistive devices without their permission.
- Ask if they are injured or have any loss of movement and/or sensation.
- Do not try to lift, support or assist in moving a person unless you know how to do it safely.
- Follow instructions posted on special needs equipment and assistive devices.