Pets & Livestock

Having a plan in place for is an important part of being prepared for an emergency.

The best thing you can do is make sure pets have valid identification like an ID tag and vaccinations are up-to-date. The Canadian Disaster Animal Response Team has helpful resources to help you emergency plan for your pets.

For livestock, keep a current list of all animals on the farm, their locations and medical history. As well, set up Premises Identification (ID) with the province to set up a traceable link with poultry, livestock including bees.Commercial livestock producers should familiarize themselves with the SLRD's Commercial Livestock Relocation Guide as part of their preparedness planning. 

Leaving animals at home?

You should not leave pets or livestock at home unless completely necessary. When possible, take animals to a safe location or contact an organization that helps to evacuate animals. If it becomes necessary to leave them behind; 

  • Make sure they have enough dry food and water for at least three days.
  • Make sure they have access to an elevated spot in the house like a counter or stairs in case of flooding.
  • Make sure you leave pets in an area way from breakable things like windows.
  • Separate your pets from one another, even if they are friendly.
  • Leave a note on your door for emergency responders indicating how many animals are on your property and their locations.
  • Have photographs or other documents to help identify them.

Taking pets with you or relocating livestock?

  • Put pets in a portable carrier and make sure you have supplies for your pet in your 72-Hour Emergency Kit like dry food and water.
  • Locate and pre-arrange evacuation sites for livestock, with multiple routes to these sites.
  • Arrange for transportation of livestock and plan how food, water, care and equipment will be dealt with at the evacuation site.
  • Review SLRD's Commercial Livestock Relocation Guide as part of preparedness planning. 

Care for Livestock

Owners of farm animals, as well as commercial livestock associations and animal care organizations, should familiarize themselves with the SLRD's Commercial Livestock Relocation Guide, as part of their emergency preparedness planning.

In British Columbia (B.C.) it is recommended that commercial livestock owners register with the Premises ID Program. Information is gathered about the location of animals, the types of animals at each location and how to contact individuals responsible for those animals.

Additional information on care and planning for Livestock can be found on our Response and Animal Welfare page here.