Commercial Livestock Relocation Guide

Owners of farm animals, as well as commercial livestock associations and animal care organizations, should familiarize themselves with the SLRD's Commercial Livestock Relocation Guide, as part of their emergency preparedness planning.

Producers/owners of farm animals who incur costs in moving their livestock off-site during an evacuation "alert" stage, due to hazards, such as flooding or wildfire, may be eligible for financial support.

Relocation rates including costs for the return of relocated livestock will only be considered for a maximum of 96 hours (4 days) following an "evacuation rescind", unless a specific exception is approved by Emergency Management BC (EMBC). 


Review the sample invoices in this Guide. 

Then, download, print and complete the forms and submit them to the SLRD Emergency Operations Centre by mail (PO Box 219, 1350 Aster Street, Pemberton, BC  V0N 2L0) or by fax (604-894-6526). 

Frequently Asked Questions

The following is taken from the Guide.


Who is responsible for coming up with a livestock evacuation plan for my animals?

You are.

The SLRD Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) may be able to help commercial livestock producers during an evacuation with activities such as loading, trucking, and sheltering, but producers are expected to plan in advance for the logistics of moving stock and safeguarding the welfare of animals during a major emergency.

If you are NOT a commercial livestock producer, you also need to have a plan for all the types of animals on your property.

Consider how you would transport them off the property and to where you would relocate them, their feed requirements, medical needs and the potential costs associated with relocation.

Do I have to pay for livestock relocation during an emergency?

If you have a hobby farm or your livestock are not your primary source of income, then you do not qualify for livestock relocation assistance under Ministry of Agriculture rules and are responsible for all costs.

If you are a commercial livestock producer who has applied and been approved for Livestock Relocation Assistance, then costs to the approved limit for approved services will be covered.

You are responsible for costs over this limit, and for goods and services not listed on the approval documents.

When should I consider livestock relocation?

When there is a threat to animal welfare. This may mean moving livestock to another part of the property, to a mutually agreed nearby property or a safe location outside the area.

Livestock Relocation Assistance can only be applied for during emergencies where the SLRD EOC has been activated and an evacuation alert or order is in place.

What is a form 514?

The British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture Application for Livestock Relocation Assistance Form 514 provides the details needed to assess the request for assistance. The form is submitted to the SLRD Emergency Operations Centre, or to the Ministry of Agriculture if their EOC has been activated.

Emergency Program > Response > Commercial Livestock Relocation Guide