Cannabis became legal in Canada on October 17, 2018. The SLRD adopted regulatory updates in May 2018, in preparation for cannabis legalization. These regulatory updates presented an incremental approach to the regulation of cannabis in the Electoral Areas – maintaining the status quo for both retail and production while providing for consideration of new uses through the site-specific zoning amendment process. In addition to these regulatory updates, the SLRD sought public feedback through an online survey.
Cannabis Regulatory Updates
- Revise cannabis production regulations (ALR only) to align with new ALR regulations in which only soil-based cannabis production is considered a farm use; (Ongoing)
- Develop a policy for Micro Cannabis Production (micro processing and cultivation) in order to support the review of site-specific zoning requests; (Complete) The Micro Cannabis Policy can be found here.
- Maintain the current approach for cannabis retail, in which a site-specific zoning amendment is required.
- SLRD Cannabis Regulations – Public Survey and ALC Updates - December 19, 2018
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1544-2017, No. 1545-2017, 1546-2017 and No. 1547-2017 – Cannabis Regulations - May 23, 2018
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1544-2017, No. 1545-2017, 1546-2017 and No. 1547-2017 – Cannabis Regulations - April 18, 2018