To design, construct, and establish operation and maintenance of a debris flow mitigation structure for the Catiline Creek at Lillooet Lake Estates (LLE).
The objective of the project is to reduce the risk to the community and potential for loss of life by increasing capacity of the existing channel to manage future debris flows up to 100,000m3 through the community, under a new forest service road bridge, and into Lillooet Lake.
- A preliminary design is in place which includes:
- Approximately 900 metres of creek to be widened and deepened
- Approximately 970 metres of training berms
- Coordination of replacement FSR bridge with Ministry of Forests
- A right of way is required through LLE as well as Crown land tenure.
- The project involves tree removal and replanting and restoration, relocation of existing LLE-owned watermains and services and other incidental work.
- The project will be constructed in 2 phases, with scope of each phase dependent upon funding.
The current approved project budget is:
Total Approved Project Budget*
*The current approved project budget is based on available funds. The current cost estimate to complete the project based on preliminary design is $8.1 million, and is considered accurate to +/- 30%.
The current funding is:
LLE site owners via
Up to $4 million
Further funding is pending outcome of the SLRD’s application to the ICIP-GreenARDM Grant. If successful, will reduce the amount required through the Loan Authorization Bylaw above. Results of ICIP-GreenARDM application anticipated in Fall 2023.
The project is expected to take two to four years to complete.
Phase 1 construction
Phase 2 construction
Construction of a debris flow mitigation structure along Catiline Creek has been a priority for the community of Lillooet Lake Estates for several years, subsequent to major debris flow events occurring, most recently in 2010 and 2013. The SLRD has worked with the community for a number of years on items related to the debris flow hazard at Catiline Creek.
In September 2022 the property owners and the site owners / shareholders of Lillooet Lake Estates Ltd. petitioned the SLRD to establish a service and borrow up to $4 million for debris flow mitigation at Catiline Creek for both full and phased project options. The cost of service establishment and loan repayments are to be requisitioned via parcel tax to Lillooet Lake Estates property owners.
In December 2022 the SLRD Board adopted the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Catiline Creek Debris Flow Mitigation Service Establishing Bylaw No. 1786-2022 and Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Catiline Creek Debris Flow Mitigation Service Loan Authorization Bylaw No. 1787-2022, and approved inclusion of service and project resources in the 2023-2027 Financial Plan. More information on this process can be found on the service establishment and loan authorization bylaw project page.
Community support for the project, and for the service establishment and loan authorization bylaws are critical elements of this project, including supporting applications for both provincial and national grant programs.
- March 2023 - Capex Project Advisory Services Inc. engaged to provide project management services for project.
- July 2023 - Kerr Wood Leidal Associates Ltd. contracted to provide engineering services for the project.
- September 2023 - Activities underway include engineering and environmental site investigations, detailed design, permitting, and engagement with First Nations and project stakeholders.
- October 2023 - SLRD Board Status Update #2 - View Recording
- May 2023 - SLRD Board Status Update #1 - View Recording
Other Staff Reports
- October 2023 - Catiline Creek Debris Flow Mitigation Project - Land Tenure Application - View Recording
- June 2023 - Infrastructure Canada Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund Opportunity
- Catiline Creek Debris Flow Hazard
- Lillooet Lake Estates Service Establishment and Loan Authorization Bylaws
- Lillooet Lake Estates and Heather Jean Properties Zoning and Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaws
SLRD Staff Contact Information
Project and Program Coordinator
Telephone: 604-894-6371 Ext. 234
Telephone: 604-894-6371 Ext. 265