As a result of changes to the Agricultural Land Commission Act (ALCA) and Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) Use and General Regulations, the SLRD needs to update zoning bylaws to be in alignment with the Provincial regulatory framework. Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1752-2022 seeks to incorporate these necessary changes into the existing Area B Zoning Bylaw, while also including discretionary changes that are supported by the Area B Agricultural Advisory Committee.
There are two sets of key content changes:
- Zoning: The ALR land has not been properly zoned in Area B; the proposed updates seek to address this issue by creating new AGR zones and appropriately zoning parcels that are partially or fully within the ALR.
- Compliance with Regulations: Bringing the bylaw into alignment with Provincial regulations, including provisions for gathering for an event, agri-tourism, cannabis production, and residential use.
Some additional minor changes are also proposed to increase clarity and create consistency with amendments proposed to other SLRD zoning bylaws (e.g., inclusion of gross floor area calculation, updates to definitions and uses permitted in all zones).
At their meeting of March 22, 2023, the SLRD Board passed the following resolution:
THAT Bylaw No. 1752-2022, cited as “Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Electoral Area B Zoning Bylaw No. 1300-2013, Amendment Bylaw No. 1752- 2022”, be read a second time as amended.
A Public Hearing was held for Bylaw No. 1752-2022 on November 2, 2023. This bylaw is scheduled to be brought back for consideration of third reading at the Board Meeting on November 22, 2023. The most recent Board Report, including public hearing meeting minutes, can be found linked below.
- Request for Decision (Agricultural Zoning Updates) - November 22, 2023
- Request for Decision (Agricultural Zoning Updates) - March 22, 2023
- Request for Decision (Agricultural Zoning Updates) - September 28, 2022
- Request for Decision (Agricultural Zoning Updates - First Reading) - May 25, 2022
- Request for Decision (Agricultural Zoning Updates) - March 30, 2022