To meet the current and future solid waste disposal needs of residents and property owners in the Pemberton Refuse Disposal Local Service Area (the “Service Area”), the SLRD is proposing to construct a new transfer station facility on the SLRD-owned site (the “New Facility”).
The New Facility will enable the SLRD to expand solid waste services offered and will provide the Pemberton and District community with a permanent solid waste site. The New Facility will include a scale system to assist with the assessment of tipping fees. At a minimum, the New Facility will provide the following services:
- Receive standard household garbage, recycling, and organic waste;
- Receive standard commercial garbage and organic waste as possible based on space;
- Receive and segregate bulky items such as scrap metal, as well as demolition, land clearing, construction, and dirty wood waste.
- February 2018: the SLRD Board approved moving ahead with a process to borrow funds to construct the New Facility. The Village of Pemberton Council also provided their support for the borrowing process to proceed.
- April 2018: To fund the construction of the New Facility, the SLRD sought the approval of eligible electors of the Service Area to borrow up to $1,375,000 over a 30-year term (the “Loan”) by way of an Alternative Approval Process (the “AAP”). More detail on the AAP, including the financial impact of the loan to Service Area participants, is available on the Alternative Approval Process (AAP) - Pemberton and District Transfer Station Loan Authorization Bylaw Project Page.
- May 14, 2018: The AAP process concluded with less than 10% of eligible electors registering opposition to Pemberton and District Transfer Station Loan Authorization Bylaw No. 1567-2018.
- May 24, 2018: At its meeting on May 23, 2018 the SLRD Board adopted the Loan Authorization Bylaw, enabling the SLRD to move forward with borrowing.
- June 28, 2018: A Security Issuing Bylaw, which is required to authorize the SLRD to enter into the financing agreement with the Municipal Finance Authority, was brought forward to the Board for three readings and adopted at the June 27, 2018 Board meeting. The SLRD will apply for a Certificate of Approval prior to the Fall 2018 borrowing deadline on July 31, 2018.
- July 10, 2018: A Request for Proposals for detailed design of the new transfer station was posted on July 10, 2018 and closes on July 23, 2018. Download the RFP from the SLRD Contracting Opportunities directory.
The SLRD will keep this page updated as the project moves forward.
The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) has leased the current Pemberton Transfer Station facility site (located at 1947 Carpenter Road in the Pemberton Industrial Park) since 2006, and the current facility has been operated by a contractor pursuant to an operations and maintenance agreement. In late 2016, the SLRD purchased a 0.5 acre parcel, located at 1950 Venture Place in the Pemberton Industrial Park, as a potential future site for new transfer station.
Documents and Resources
SLRD Director of Engineering Services
- Telephone: (604) 894-6371 ext. 240
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org