SLRD Electoral Directors and Staff have been receiving an increasing number of complaints associated with illegal short-term nightly rentals. The number of illegal short-term nightly rentals also continues to grow. Additionally, SLRD staff and community members have voiced concerns about long-term impacts to neighbourhood character and rental housing availablity/affordability. Amendment Bylaws 1607-2018, 1608-2018, 1609-2018, and 1610-2018 propose the following approaches:
Bed & Breakfast Approach – Zoning related
- Those that have permitted traditional bed and breakfast operations would be zoned to include bed and breakfast use.
- New bed and breakfast operations would apply for a zoning amendment (similar to the way that member municipalities deal with bed and breakfast zoning).
- The rezoning process would ensure traditional bed and breakfast operations are only taking place in dwellings with a completed final building permit.
- The rezoning process would ensure traditional bed and breakfast operations have obtained the required Change of Use Permit to address fire and life safety concerns under the BC Building Code.
- The rezoning process would help differentiate traditional bed and breakfast operations for short-term rental operations (the key distinction being that for traditional bed and breakfasts the property owner/resident is on site).
Short-Term Rental Approach- Zoning related
- Clarify that this use is prohibited unless proper zoning is in place by adding a ShortTerm Rental prohibition section to each zoning bylaw.
- New Short-Term Rental operations would apply for a zoning amendment, as per the August 29/30, 2018 SLRD Board resolutions.
At the January 30, 2019 SLRD Board meeting, the Board requested a survey be conducted in order to gain community input into the Board's direction regarding short-term rentals. Please complete the 10 minute survey to provide your input on this important topic. Input collected will be anonymous, with the intent to inform the SLRD Board and staff of community interests.
- Short-Term Rentals and Bed & Breakfast Zoning Amendment Bylaws (Nos. 1607-2018, 1608-2018, 1609-2018 through 1610-2018). - Second Reading - January 30, 2019
- Short-Term Rentals and Bed & Breakfast Zoning Amendment Bylaws (Nos. 1607-2018, 1608-2018, 1609-2018 through 1610-2018). - November 28, 2018
- Illegal Short-term Rentals and Options for Action/Enforcement - Information Report - August 30, 2018