SLRD Electoral Directors and Staff have been receiving an increasing number of complaints associated with illegal short-term nightly rentals. The number of illegal short-term nightly rentals also continues to grow. Additionally, SLRD staff and community members have voiced concerns about long-term impacts to neighbourhood character and rental housing availablity/affordability. Amendment Bylaws 1607-2018, 1608-2018, 1609-2018, and 1610-2018 propose the following approaches:
Bed & Breakfast Approach – Zoning related
- Those that have permitted traditional bed and breakfast operations would be zoned to include bed and breakfast use.
- New bed and breakfast operations would apply for a zoning amendment (similar to the way that member municipalities deal with bed and breakfast zoning).
- The rezoning process would ensure traditional bed and breakfast operations are only taking place in dwellings with a completed final building permit.
- The rezoning process would ensure traditional bed and breakfast operations have obtained the required Change of Use Permit to address fire and life safety concerns under the BC Building Code.
- The rezoning process would help differentiate traditional bed and breakfast operations for short-term rental operations (the key distinction being that for traditional bed and breakfasts the property owner/resident is on site).
Short-Term Rental Approach- Zoning related
- Clarify that this use is prohibited unless proper zoning is in place by adding a ShortTerm Rental prohibition section to each zoning bylaw.
- New Short-Term Rental operations would apply for a zoning amendment, as per the August 29/30, 2018 SLRD Board resolutions.
At the January 30, 2019 SLRD Board meeting, the Board requested a survey be conducted in order to gain community input into the Board's direction regarding short-term rentals.
- Short-Term Rentals and Bed & Breakfast Zoning Amendment Bylaws (Nos. 1607-2018, 1608-2018, 1609-2018 through 1610-2018). - Second Reading - January 30, 2019
- Short-Term Rentals and Bed & Breakfast Zoning Amendment Bylaws (Nos. 1607-2018, 1608-2018, 1609-2018 through 1610-2018). - November 28, 2018
- Illegal Short-term Rentals and Options for Action/Enforcement - Information Report - August 30, 2018