Over the last two years, the SLRD has worked on updating the Regional Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan - a blueprint for how we reduce, reuse, recycle and manage our waste for the next 10 years.
Our draft plan has been developed with input from technical experts, members of a region-wide community advisory committee, staff and elected leaders. Now, we need your input to help us make decisions about how we can best reduce and manage our garbage and recycling, in Lillooet and Electoral Areas A and B.
- Establish a Re-Build-It Centre at the Lillooet Landfill for reusable building materials
- Consider residential curbside recycling and yard waste collection for Lillooet
- Launch a region-wide campaign to reduce food waste
- Consider financial incentives to divert yard waste from landfilling (or backyard burning) to the Lillooet composting facility
- Develop a region-wide strategy to tackle illegal dumping
- Enforce the bylaw that requires commercial waste containers to be bear-proof
- Increase awareness of take-back opportunities for products and packaging covered by a stewardship program