Over the last two years, the SLRD has been in the process of updating the Regional Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan - a blueprint for how we reduce, reuse, recycle and manage our waste for the next ten years.
Our draft plan has been developed with input from technical experts, members of a region-wide community advisory committee, staff and elected leaders. Now, we need your input to help us make decisions about how we can best reduce and manage our garbage and recycling in Pemberton and Electoral Area C.
- Establish a Re-Build-It Centre in the Pemberton/ Area C region for reusable building materials.
- Consider residential curbside garbage, recycling and organics collection for the densely populated Pemberton and surrounding areas. If there is support for a curbside service, it is expected that this may reduce the service requirements of the Pemberton transfer station and its operating costs.
- Launch a region-wide campaign to reduce food waste
- Develop a region-wide strategy to tackle illegal dumping
- Increase awareness of take-back opportunities for products and packaging covered by stewardship programs