Over the last two years, the SLRD has been in the process of updating the Regional Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan - a blueprint for how we reduce, reuse, recycle and manage our waste for the next ten years.
This draft plan has been developed with input from technical experts, members of a region-wide community advisory committee, staff and elected leaders. Now, we need your input to help us make decisions about how we can best reduce and manage our garbage and recycling in Whistler.
- Consider a bylaw that will require all commercial and multi-family properties to have 3-stream waste collection (recycling, organic waste and garbage). The effectiveness of this bylaw will be assessed for potential application throughout the SLRD.
- The continued export of residual waste (garbage) out of the SLRD to a regulatory compliant landfill until a regional option has been identified.
- Launch a region-wide campaign to reduce food waste
- Develop a region-wide strategy to tackle illegal dumping
- Increase awareness of take-back opportunities for products and packaging covered by stewardship programs