This Evacuation Order supersedes the original Order issued on August 31st, 2023.
Pursuant to Section 12 (1) of the BC Emergency Program Act an Evacuation Order is currently in place by the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District due to immediate danger to life safety caused by the Downton Lake fire burning out of control in the Gun Lake Area.
The Downton Lake Evacuation Order remains in effect for SLRD properties in the following areas of Electoral Area A:
- All SLRD properties on Gun Lake West Rd between Keir Rd. and Weaver Rd.
- All SLRD Properties north of Saddle Road
- ALL SLRD Properties on Gun Creek Road
- All SLRD Properties on the South side of Lajoie Lake (aka Little Gun Lake)
- Any other SLRD properties located within the boundary noted on the below maps.
This area is extremely hazardous due to wildfire impacts such as danger trees, ash pits, and the potential for toxic substances released from burned structural debris.
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, YOU MUST LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY.
NOTE: Some properties on the east side of Gun Lake , Marshall Lake, Tyaughton Lake, Gold Bridge and Bralorne have been downgraded from Evacuation Order to Evacuation Alert. Please see the updated Evacuation Alert document issued September 8th, 2023 for more details.
IMPORTANT: No personal watercraft are permitted on Gun Lake due to ongoing BC Wildfire Service emergency response.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- If this is not your primary residence, you should return to your primary residence, if you are able to do so.
- Accommodation in the area is limited. Make arrangements to stay with family and friends, if possible.
- If emergency accommodations are required, register at:
Lillooet District Rec Centre - 930 Main Street – Room 101, Lillooet BC V0K 1V0
Open: 10am to 3pm on Monday to Friday, 10am to 2pm on Saturday, closed on Sunday
Outside of these hours call: 250-256-8524
Canadian Red Cross 24/7 Disaster Assistance Line: 1 888 800 6493
- If you need transportation assistance from the area, contact the SLRD on-call Duty Manager at 604-356-3082
- Shut off all gas and electrical appliances other than refrigerators and freezers.
- Close all windows and doors. Close gates (latch) but do not lock.
- Gather your family and, if you have room, take a neighbour or someone needing transportation. Do not use more vehicles than you have to.
- Take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and keys) only if they are immediately available. Take pets in pet kennels or on a leash.
Further information will be posted at www.slrd.bc.ca and notices through the SLRD Alert Messaging service. Subscribe to SLRD Alert for free at www.slrd.bc.ca/slrdalert to receive emergency notifications via email, text messages, and voicemail.