Wildfire Risk Reduction treatment will take place in three designated areas this month. A majority of the work took place during the winter of 2020-21, with remaining tasks such as piling and burning woody debris scheduled for this fall.
Designated areas, approximate dates and information:
- Gates Lake – Birken: September 24 – October 31, 2021
- Lillooet Lake Estates: October 4 – 31, 2021
- Garibaldi Park Road (Ring Creek): October 4 – 31, 2021
- This fuel management treatment task will include removing heavy undergrowth, pruning lower branches on trees up to three metres in height, and widening the space between the trees by removing smaller stems.
- Treatment will aim to mitigate the risk of wildfire to the community of Birken and provide a safer evacuation route for the public if necessary.
- Woody debris will be formed into piles no larger than two meters tall and three meters wide in locations that will not present a fire risk.
- A small number of piles will be retained as small mammal habitat.
- The project will connect pre-existing fuel breaks in the area to create a continuous fuel break that will reduce flame lengths and the spread of wildfire approaching the community.
- Piles will be burned to reduce fire risk, as per the Ministry of Environment Open Burning Smoke Control regulations as conditions permit for fall of 2021.
More information on Wildfire Risk Prevention
Whether you are a homeowner, an active member of your community or participate in local government, there are things you can do today to reduce the risk and impact of wildfire in your area. The FireSmart program is designed to help reduce the risk of wildfire near your home and neighbourhood — providing a better opportunity for firefighters to defend your home in an emergency wildfire situation.
Visit www.FireSmartBC.com for more information on becoming FireSmart.
For more information about this project contact:
Katherine Lawrence, RPF Stewardship Officer
Sea to Sky District office
101-42000 Loggers Lane in Squamish, BC.
Telephone: 604 898-2100