UPDATE: Power has been restored in Britannia Beach and Furry Creek
The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) is aware of residents and Britannia Beach who are without power and currently snowed-in after last night's storm.
Furry Creek Residents are also without power.
BC Hydro has advised that crews are on site after an excavator was brought in to clear snow to the area.
Please note the following:
- There is a line down over Copper Drive at Mineral Crescent, so Copper Drive is closed past this point.
- Monitor www.bchydro.com for updates on the outages.
- The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI) office in Squamish has been notified of the snow issue and a request has been made for roads to be plowed by their contractor as soon as possible once the downed lines have been cleared and it is safe to proceed.
- We encourage residents to check on their neighbours and call 911 for anyone needing emergency assistance.
- Members of the fire department are planning to conduct door-to-door checks once the downed lines are clear to enable safe access past Mineral Creek Drive.
A blizzard warning remains in effect for Howe Sound, and a winter storm warning is in effect for the Sea-to-Sky. The SLRD will continue to share alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada.
For more information:
SLRD Emergency Program Manager