- All Areas
Purpose of the Amendment Bylaw
The SLRD has initiated an amendment of the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Regional Growth Strategy Bylaw No. 1062, 2008 to address specific text amendments in support of the SLRD Regional Growth Strategy (RGS) Goal 1: Focus Development into Compact, Complete, Sustainable Communities - specifically to:
- Replace the first bullet under Strategic Direction 1.1 a) with: Direct growth and settlement development towards Member Municipalities and existing SLRD Master Planned Communities.
- Amend the Master-Planned Communities land use designation description by replacing the phrase “Significant future growth will be accommodated in these communities” with:
- For existing SLRD master planned communities, further growth is not supported beyond what is currently contemplated in SLRD Official Community Plans (OCPs) and what is specified in the SLRD Regional Growth Strategy (RGS). Zoning and OCP amendments that propose to increase density or area of existing SLRD master planned communities are not supported.
- New master planned communities and/or urban areas are not supported outside of the established settlement areas.
- Remove the Destination Resort language found on pages 24-26 of the RGS Bylaw.
As per s. 434 of the Local Government Act, the SLRD Board adopted a consultation plan and determined the consultation plan should include the holding of a public hearing.
The RGS text amendments were prepared by the RGS Steering Committee pursuant to a request made at an RGS Elected Officials Forum held November 10, 2016 (attended by representatives of the SLRD, District of Squamish, Resort Municipality of Whistler and Village of Pemberton).
For more information on the SLRD RGS Bylaw No. 1062, 2008, see the Regional Growth Strategy page.
All affected local governments have provided unanimous acceptance of RGS Amendment Bylaw 1514-2017.
At the January 24, 2018 SLRD Board meeting the Board resolved to hold a second public hearing in Squamish, prior to considering any further readings of the bylaw. A public hearing is scheduled for Monday February 19, 2017 at 7pm at the Sea to Sky Hotel, 40330 Tantalus Road, Squamish, BC.
September 2017 Public Hearing
A public hearing was held at 7:00 pm on Wednesday September 13, 2017 at the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District office at 1350 Aster Street, Pemberton, BC.
A report went to the October 25, 2017 SLRD Board meeting providing information on input recieved at the public hearing and requesting direction to proceed with referrals (for details see report linked below).
- RGS Amendment Bylaw 1514-2017 - Consideration of Third Reading and Adoption (SECOND PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULED)
- RGS Amendment 1514-2017 Board Update and Request For Decision - October 25, 2017
- RGS Major Amendment (Growth Management Text Amendments) - First and Second Reading - June 28, 2017
- RGS Minor Amendment (Growth Management Text Amendments) - April 19, 2017
- RGS Minor Amendment (Growth Management Text Amendments) - March 15, 2017
- RGS Minor Amendment (Growth Management) - permission to proceed - December 14, 2016