Filming in the SLRD

The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District does not currently require filming permits for commercial film productions taking place within the SLRD. However, depending on the nature and location of the production, permits may be required by other agencies, such as the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (MFLNRO) and the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure (MOTI). The appropriate Provincial Film Production Contacts are noted below

Also, please be aware that Noise Bylaws are in effect in SLRD Electoral Areas B, C and D, and film productions must comply with the relevant Noise Bylaw. For more information, visit the Bylaw Directory (search for 'Noise' or filter by Electoral Area). 

As well, we request that you advise the SLRD of your plans by emailing Your email should include the following details about the production:

  1. Date(s) and time(s) of the production;
  2. Location(s) of the production (please be as specific as possible);
  3. Whether there will be any road or traffic disruptions as a result of the production, and if so, how they will be handled;
  4. Whether there would/could be any impact to neighbouring properties, and if so how the properties may be impacted;
  5. Regarding #4 above, it's important that all neighbouring properties be contacted well  in advance of the production to alert them to the filming and to advise them of any potential impacts; and
  6. The name and contact details (i.e. telephone number) of an on-site contact person to whom concerns from neighbouring properties and / or the public can be directed. 

In addition, we request that you provide the SLRD with copies of the following documentation: 

  • Neighbour Notification Letters; and
  • Relevant permits from MFLNRO and MOTI.

Provincial Film Production Contacts

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

The provincial Commercial Film Tenure Program makes Crown land available for film production as well as still photography for commercial, educational and promotional purposes. Permission to use Crown land is obtained by application to the Province. Learn more here.

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

Should your production involve activities taking place on provincial roads, you should contact MOTI to find out what's required. Learn more here.

For more information:

If you have questions regarding any aspect of the provincial application process, please contact FrontCounter BCYour inquiry will be directed to the appropriate regional office based on your area of interest.



Home > Services > Economic Development > Filming in the SLRD