To protect the air quality and quality of life for residents of Area D, open burning has been banned since 2008.
Open burning of construction waste or green yard waste is prohibited in SLRD Area D - Howe Sound East (Britannia Beach, Furry Creek, Porteau) and Garibaldi.
The only EXCEPTIONS to this restriction on open fires are:
- Campfires smaller than 1 m round and 1 m high.
- Campfires must be in a fire pit and supervised at all times.
- There must be at least 3 metres clearance between the campfire and any standing trees or other brush.
- Burn only clean dry wood.
ALWAYS CHECK FOR CURRENT FIRE BANS at BC Wildfire BEFORE IGNITING A CAMPFIRE.
2. Land clearing debris:
- with a permit from the SLRD,
- an air curtain burner and
- a certified operator
Register burn at www.slrd.bc.ca/howesound
At any time, the Fire Chief may declare conditions too hazardous to burn and restrict any outdoor burning of any kind, including camp fires and barbeques.
Complaints or concerns about smoke or fires? Call SLRD Bylaw Enforcement 1800 298 7753 or the Britannia Beach Fire Department
By order of the SLRD, by authority of the SLRD Fire Protection Services Regulation Bylaw No 1110, 2008, the Britannia Beach Fire Department and Fire Chief have the authority to enter any premises or land, with or without permission of the owner, to take whatever measures necessary to combat or suppress a fire.