Special Event FAQ

For more information please contact:

Andrew McFetridge
Emergency Management Technician
Telephone: 604-698-9812
Email: AMcFetridge@slrd.bc.ca

Do I need a Special Event Permit?

If you are located in the Agricultural Land Reserve and are planning a for-profit gathering of up to 150 guests in Electoral Area D, a Farmland Special Event Permit is required. If you are located outside of the Agicultural Land Reserve and are planning a gathering of 200 guests or more, a Class I, Class II or Class III Special Event Permit is required.

Are other permits or applications required?

For commercial (for-profit) events: A Special Event Permit is not meant to serve as de-facto commercial zoning. Appropriate zoning or a Temporary Use Permit is required for a property owner to host commercial (for-profit) events. Therefore, if a property is not zoned for Commercial Public Assembly Uses and Events, a Temporary Use Permit or a Rezoning is required. In addition, for those events with 200 people or more, a Special Event Permit is also required. For properties in the Agricultural Land Reserve, a non-farm use application (and approval) are also required, if the proposed event use is not allowed under Agricultural Land Commission regulations. 

For private, family and non-commercial events: Private family weddings, family reunions, parties, etc., which are hosted on property owned by the family for which the event is being held, are not considered to be commercial events. However, such special events having 200 people or more will require a Special Event Permit.

Is there a fee for a Special Event Permit?

Class I, Class II and Class III SLRD Special Event Permits do have a cost associated with them.

Special Event Permit Class Number of Attendees Consultation with Public Safety Agencies Required SLRD Permit Processing Fee
Farmland 0-150 No $0
Class I 200-499 Depends on the event. Please consult with the SLRD. $100
Class II 500-999 Yes $200
Class III 1,000+  Yes $300
Class III 2,000 - 10,000 Yes $300 plus $100 for each additional 1,000 attendees
Class III 10,000 - 20,000 Yes $300 plus $200 for each additional 1,000 attendees
Class III 20,000+ Yes $300 plus $300 for each additional 1,000 attendees


Do I need insurance?

Yes. As a condition of granting a Farmland, Class I, II or III Special Event Permit, the Regional District will require proof of insurance to cover the agreement to indemnify and save harmless the Regional District as follows:

  • Commercial General Liability of $1,500,000 for Farmland Special Events; $2,000,000 for Class I Special Events; $5,000,000 for Class II and Class III, minimum per occurrence in Canadian funds
  • the document must include a cross liability clause
  • Squamish-Lillooet Regional District must be “named insured” included in the coverage:
  • 30 days prior written notice of cancellation or material change

Is a security deposit required for large events?

Yes. A security deposit is required for Class II and III events against any damage the SLRD may be required to repair following an event. Minimum deposit amounts are:

  • Class II            $5,000
  • Class III           $10,000

Please refer to the Special Events Bylaw for more specific information about security deposits.

Do I have to consult with any other groups or agencies before receiving my Special Event Permit?

Yes. For Class II and III events, you are required to consult with local public health and safety agencies (RCMP, BC Wildfire Management Branch, BC Ambulance, and Vancouver Coastal Health). Please refer to the SLRD Special Events Bylaw for complete details.

How far in advance of my event do I need to apply for an SLRD Special Event Permit?

The SLRD must receive an application for a Special Event Permit no less than 60 days prior to the first day of your event. However, for Class 2 and 3 events, it is recommended that you get in touch with the SLRD well in advance of the 60 day deadline – the SLRD may be able to assist you in coordinating planning with outside agencies like the RCMP and BC Ambulance.

Does the SLRD require that I advise my neighbours that I will be holding an event?

No, it is not a condition of the permit that you notify your neighbours. The SLRD MAY distribute dates and locations of special events to provide notification to others in the community. However, we suggest that as a courtesy, you let your neighbours know if you are planning on hosting an event, and provide them with details of the event well in advance.

If I have received a Special Event Permit in the past, am I guaranteed future permits?

No. The SLRD approaches each permit as a unique event, and may look at things like complaints from neighbours, advice from public safety agencies, and whether any of the terms of previous Special Event Permits were violated before issuing future permits.

Is there someone at the SLRD who can help me in applying for a Special Event Permit?

Currently, Special Event permitting is handled through the SLRD Emergency Program. Please get in touch with the Emergency Program Manager noted on this page with any questions you may have.

Home > Services > Special Events > Special Event FAQ