Before you choose to send an item to the landfill, have a look at these opportunities to recycle materials locally. If our region works together, we will be able to protect the environment and save money at the same time, simply by making small changes to the way we dispose of and purchase products.
Get the Mobile App to always have recycling information at your fingertips.
Download it today.
Where does my recycling go?
Residential Recycling - What goes in the bins?
Remember: Remove plastic, labels and adhesive tapes. Accepted at depots and curbside programs.
- Boxes with wax coatings
- Cardboard with food leftovers, e.g. pizza boxes can be included in compost
Printed paper and packaging
Remember: Remove plastic wrap. Accepted at depots and curbside programs.
- Non-paper gift wrap
- Musical greeting cards with batteries
- Padded envelopes
- Boxes with wax coatings
- Foiled-lined bags
- Paper towel, napkins and tissues (can be included in compost)
Mixed Containers (metal, plastic and paper pakaging that contained liquids)
Remember: Empty and rinse, include caps and lids removed from containers, squeeze metal lids inside cans, take deposit beverage containers to Return-It depot for refund or place in donation bin.
- Straws, plastic and non-paper wraps
- Foiled-lined cardboard lids
- Foil bags, foil wrap with paper, stand-up pouches, liquid-absorbing pads, stretch wrap, blister packs, packaging labelled biodegradable, ceramic pots, lawn edging, tarps, plastic furniture, garden hoses, string and rope
- Pails larger than 25 litres
Glass Bottles and Jars
Remember: Empty and rinse containers, remove lids, take deposit beverage containers to Return-It depot for refund or place in adjacent donation bin. Accepted at DEPOTS ONLY.
- Drinking glasses
- Window glass or mirrors
- Ceramic products
- Metal lids (recylce with mixed containers)
Plastic Bags and Film
Remember: Empty bags, remove non-plastic items, stuff into one bag and tie closed. Accepted at DEPOTS ONLY.
- Crinkly cellophane wrap
- Stretch wrap
- Zipper-lock bags
- Potato chip or snack bags
- Plastic shipping envelopes
- Bags labelled biodegradable or compostable
- Multi-layer or laminated plastic packaging
- Plastic bubble wrap
Styrofoam Packaging (Separate white and coloured)
Remember: Rinse; remove labels, tape, paper and cardboard from Styrofoam cushion packaging; separate white and coloured foam. Accepted at DEPOTS ONLY.
- Liquid-absorbing pads or stretch wrap
- Packing chips, peanuts or noodles
- Blue or pink foam board insulation
Have an item not included here? Check out other recycling information for help.