Being prepared for an emergency starts with having a plan. Make sure everyone in your family knows what to do before and after an emergency, and review and update your plan each year.
Your plan should include:
- Where and how to exit your home safely (doors, windows and stairways)
- A location, outside your home, where you will meet
- The location of your emergency kit(s)
- The name of a person who lives in a different province, or another area code in BC (not Vancouver Island). This person will act as your family’s contact if you are separated during an emergency. Make sure that everyone knows this person’s name, address and telephone number.
- A list of key telephone numbers and addresses
- Locations of important equipment like fire extinguishers, electrical boxes, gas and water valves, and floor drains