Below is a summary of decisions made at the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Board and Committee meetings in July 2019. (Download a pdf of this update).
Note from Chair Rainbow: The Board of the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District endorsed the week of October 21-27, 2019 as “Waste Reduction Week in Canada”. What does this mean to us as individuals? The handling and management of waste is not something that local governments can do alone and we need citizens to actively engage in efforts to reduce waste. There are some simple things that homeowners can do to limit what goes into the landfill site. We should be diligent about sorting our waste so that as much as possible can be recycled. We should ensure that nothing other than organic material is put in our green (compost) bins so that this material can be composted and kept out of the landfill. Glass and nothing else should be placed in glass collection bins (i.e. no cardboard boxes, no plastic bags). If we all accept personal responsibility for waste reduction we are contributing in a positive way to measures that help counteract climate change.
Northern Economic Development and Initiatives Committee
Director Birch-Jones was appointed as Chair of the Northern Economic Development and Initiatives Committee (NEDIC), and Director Courchesne and Director Busse as Co- Vice-Chairs. The NEDIC meetings for 2019 are scheduled as follows:
- October 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM
- December 3, 2019 at 10:30 AM
Waste Reduction Week - October 21 - 27, 2019
The SLRD Board proclaimed the week of October 21- 27, 2019 as “Waste Reduction Week in Canada” in the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District.
The following bylaws were adopted:
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Pemberton and District Transfer Station Loan Authorization Bylaw No. 1567-2018, Amendment Bylaw No. 1640-2019 to delete the specific location of 1950 Venture Place in Pemberton and include more general language regarding the siting of the new Pemberton and District Transfer Station.
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Tax Exemption Bylaw No. 1647-2019 to exempt the Pemberton Wildlife Association Shooting Range from taxation for the year 2020.
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Procedure Bylaw No. 1499-2016, Amendment Bylaw No. 1648-2019 to reflect that the Chair will approve delegations to SLRD Board meetings.
The following bylaw was given third reading and forwarded to the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure for approval prior to adoption of the bylaw:
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Electoral Area C Zoning Bylaw No. 765, 2002, Amendment Bylaw No. 1637-2019 to allow for a pension to accommodate 20 guests in 10 rooms plus an auxiliary unit for staff accommodations in the WedgeWoods Subdivision.
Zoning Amendment Application, Short-Term Rental Use, Area D
The Zoning Amendment Application for shortterm/nightly rental use at 1090 Goat Ridge Drive, Britannia Beach was not approved by the Board.
Woodfibre LNG Draft Community Services and Infrastructure Management Plan Referral
The SLRD advised the Environmental Assessment Office (EAO) that the Woodfibre LNG Draft Community Services and Infrastructure Plan (CSIMP) merely restates information and actions outlined in the original Environmental Assessment Application, and fails to include a plan to adaptively manage workforce housing and accommodation needs during the construction phase of the project. The SLRD requested the EAO to require Woodfibre LNG to engage in meaningful consultation with the SLRD and District of Squamish in developing the CSIMP.
Northern Development Initiative Trust Capacity Building Grant
The Economic Development Assessment, Strategy and Action Plan (December 2012) regarding SLRD Electoral Areas A and B and the District of Lillooet will be updated.
Letters of Support /Endorsement
- On behalf of the Lillooet Regional Invasive Species Society (LLRISS) for their application to the 2019 Community Gaming Grants, Outreach & Education Program Grant for funding of approximately $8,000 towards the cost of delivering outreach programs.
- To the Minister of Environment to request that Packaging and Printed Paper (PPP) from the Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional (ICI) sector be added to the Recycling Regulation, so as to: create a single recycling program in the province for all PPP; standardize the amount of recycling content used to make new products; ban or severely limit the use of plastics that are not recyclable; expand Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) programs to other waste streams (mattresses, etc.); and ensure EPR programs cover the full cost to recover materials.
- The SLRD endorsed the Howe Sound Biosphere Region Initiative Society's nomination to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) for the Atl'ka7tsem/Howe Sound Biosphere Reserve and submission to the Canadian Commission for UNESCO.
Squamish-Lillooet Regional District
Phone: 604.894.6371 x244