Here is a summary of decisions made at the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Board and Committee meetings in December 2017. (You can download a PDF of this update here.)
Note from Chair Crompton: Thank-you to all the residents who came out to discuss the Area C zoning bylaw. We received some great input on how we can better engage the communities we serve. It was suggested we make better use of community bulletin boards, Facebook and video. If you have community engagement ideas to add please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org. It has been a wonderful 2017. The Board is grateful to be chosen to serve our communities, thank you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
2018 Board Meetings
The 2018 Schedule of Board and Board Committees meetings has been updated. Check out the meeting calendar.
2018 Sea to Sky Regional Hospital District Appointments
The 2018 Sea to Sky Regional Hospital District Board Chair is Patricia Heintzman and the Vice-Chair is Jen Ford.
The following bylaws were adopted:
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Fire Limit Establishment Bylaw No. 879-2003, Amendment Bylaw No. 1553-2017 [Building] Sprinkler Bylaw for WedgeWoods Estates (Area C).
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Development Approval Information, Fees and Notification Procedures Bylaw No. 1301-2014, Amendment Bylaw No. 1550-2017, for updated fees related to changes made to various bylaws.
- Invasive Species Management and Control Service Establishment Bylaw No. 1541-2017.
The first and second readings of the following bylaws were rescinded:
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Electoral Area C Official Community Plan Bylaw No. 1484-2017
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Area C Zoning Bylaw No. 1485-2017
Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Electoral Area C Zoning Bylaw No. 765, 2002 Amendment Bylaw No 1549-2017 was amended to:
- remove the new Bed and Breakfast wording (revert to the existing wording).
- remove the requirement for a letter of credit in respect of temporary farm worker housing.
- remove the limit of 12 agritourism events per calendar year.
- review options regarding inclusion of wording to regulate the scale of agritourism events.
- the Gathering For An Event wording has been changed to allow 10 events per calendar year, or such other number as allowed by the Agricultural Land Commission.
- Bylaw No. 1549-2017 was given first reading as amended (per the above).
Health Canada - Consultation on the Proposed Approach to the Regulation of Cannabis
The Health Canada - Consultation on the Proposed Approach to the Regulation of Cannabis was referred to staff to provide a response to the questionnaire, emphasizing the importance of having a diversity of cannabis products.
Proposed Excise Duty Framework for Cannabis Products
A letter will be sent to the federal government advising that longer response times than have been provided are necessary for local governments to be able to provide feedback on the proposed federal legislation regarding non-medical cannabis.
SLRD 50th Anniversary - October 2018
A budget of $20,000 was allocated to the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District in 2018.
Britannia Beach and Furry Creek Recycle BC Contract
The Britannia Beach and Furry Creek curbside recycling programs were enrolled with Recycle BC effective January 1, 2018.
Forest, Range and Practices Act Letter of Reply
The SLRD will send a letter to the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development requesting details on the following matters:
- Improvements to Forest Stewardship Plans
- Balancing interests between local communities and the forest industry
- Strategic Wildfire Prevention Initiatives
- Implementation of the Ministry’s 5 strategies for consultations on Forest Stewardship Plans
- The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District will apply for an Economic Development Capacity Building Grant of $50,000 from the Northern Development Initiative Trust for Areas A and B for 2018.
- The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District will apply for Infrastructure Assessment Condition Grants of up to $7,500 each for the Bralorne and Gold Bridge water systems.
RESOLUTIONS/LETTERS OF SUPPORT
Lillooet Off-Road Cycling Association - Kwotlenemo Trail
- A letter of support was provided to the Lillooet Off-Road Cycling Association for their application to the Rural Dividend Fund partnering with Xaxli’p (Fountain Band) to build a 4.2 km cycling trail near Fountain Lake known as the Kwotlenemo Trail.
Lillooet Chamber of Commerce Development of Tourism Lillooet
- A letter of support was provided to the Lillooet Chamber of Commerce for their application to the Rural Dividend Fund for projects associated with the development of the Tourism Lillooet Destination Management Organization, an Ambassador Program and Familiarization Tour projects.
Bridge River Valley Community Association - 2018 9th Annual Winterfest
- A resolution of support will be provided to the Bridge River Valley Community Association for BRVCA's application to the Northern Development Initiative Trust's Fabulous Festivals and Events Program for a grant of $2,500 for the 2018 9th annual Winterfest event.
Bralorne Pioneer Museum Historic Photographs Digitization Project
- A letter of support will be provided to the Bralorne Pioneer Museum in support of their application to the BC Heritage Digitization Program for the Bralorne Pioneer Museum Historic Photographs Digitization Project.
GRANTS IN AID
- $10,000 was granted from the BC Hydro Payment In Lieu of Taxes Area A Northern Reserve Funds to the Bralorne Pioneer Museum as matching funds to the BC Heritage Digitization Program application.
- Up to $30,000 was granted from Area C Amenity Funds to the Birken Fire Protection Society for equipment and work on their 2016 GMC Crew Cab 1-Ton pickup truck used for fire fighting activities.
Communications & Grants Coordinator
Telephone: (604) 894-6371 ext. 239