Gun Lake area residents whose properties were affected by wildfire now have access to funds to assist with the process of conducting hazardous material surveys of their properties.
The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) has developed the Hazardous Material Survey Reimbursement Program, allocating funding of up to $50,000 to eligible underinsured or uninsured property owners of the Gun Lake area, in Electoral Area A of the SLRD, that have suffered structural losses in the 2023 Downton Lake wildfire event.
- Up to $15,000 of funding has been allocated by the SLRD’s Electoral Area Directors (EAD) Committee from Electoral Area A Select Funds; and
- Up to $35,000 of funding has been allocated by the SLRD Board from the Electoral Area A Northern Area BC Hydro Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) reserve fund.
Through the program, underinsured or uninsured property owners can apply for funding toward the cost of undertaking the hazardous materials survey, which is a requirement for the safe disposal of materials and the building process.
IF you are underinsured, or do not have insurance, and want to recieve confirmation of your eligibility for reimbursement before proceeding with hiring a contractor:
- Obtain a quote for conducting the hazardous material survey
- Provide a brief rationale as to why you are eligible for this reimbursement program (e.g. you don’t have insurance, or explain why the insurance you have is not adequate or does not cover this type of work)
- Submit the quote and rationale via email to email@example.com *The SLRD will respond to your email within 2 working days.
Once the Hazardous Material Survey has been completed, request reimbursement by:
- Completing the Hazardous Material Survey Reimbursement Declaration and Acknowledgement form
- Submit the completed form, and copies of invoices, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Disbursements are limited to one applicaiton per property.
**Reimbursements will be sent to property owners by mail, to the mailing address provided in the Hazardous Material Survey Reimbursement Declaration and Acknowledgement form.
For more information about the Hazardous Material Survey Reimbursement Program, contact:
SLRD Environmental Services Department
604-894-6371 ext. 236
For information about the building process, contact:
SLRD Building Department