We're pleased to share the July 2016 Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Update, summarizing highlights from the SLRD Board and Committee meetings of July 2016. (Click here for the full Minutes of the various meetings summarized here).
- Meetings have been requested at the 2016 Union of British Columbia Municipalities Convention with:
- Environment Minister Mary Polak regarding the South Chilcotin Mountains Park and Big Creek Park Management Plan;
- Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Todd Stone; Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training Shirley Bond and Premier Christy Clark regarding rural roads to discuss: lack of investment and infrastructure, economic development and tourism, upgraded cycling infrastructure, the Telford Bridge location, and a Circle Tour route;
- Senior managers of BC Hydro regarding the status and planning for the Bridge River Generation System.
- $4,000 was granted from the Sea to Sky Trails cost centre for the creation of a memorial for the late Gordon McKeever, Sea to Sky Trail Project Manager.
- The Board approved the purchase $9,525 in carbon offsets from the Cheakamus Community Forest Project and other energy saving measures with respect to its commitments under the Climate Action Charter.
- The contract to design and create the tendering documents for the Bralorne Sewer System Upgrades project was awarded to TRUE Consulting Ltd.
- The SLRD will undertake renovations to their current office space at 1350 Aster Street which will include an approximately 1,600 square foot annex with funding from the General Government cost centre and a 5 year loan from the Municipal Finance Authority.
- A letter was sent to the BC Utilities Commission requesting a 2 to 3 month extension to the August 15, 2016 deadline date for comments on their Residential Inclining Block Rate Report and requesting that BC Utilities Commission undertake a more fulsome community consultation process regarding this issue.
- The SLRD entered into a Memorandum of Understanding between BC Transit and the members of the Working Group for the Sea to Sky Transit Corridor Study.
- The SLRD supports bringing forward the issue of regional districts receiving Payment in Lieu of Taxes compensation from BC Hydro on the same basis that municipalities currently receive.
- The SLRD will undertake a Community and Regional Economic Action Forum in the Fall of 2016 (northern SLRD).
- Staff will work with EcoPlan International to initiate the formation of an Inter‐governmental Relations Working Group and begin working towards developing processes to facilitate ongoing inter‐governmental communication and coordination of shared priorities (northern SLRD).
- The following amounts were granted from the Pemberton Recreation Commission Fund:
- $1,500 to the Pemberton Stewardship Society for approximately 10 days kitchen time at the Pemberton Community Centre to process crabapples and offer canning lessons.
- The following amounts were granted from Area A Select Funds:
- $3,300 to the Bridge River Valley Community Association to complete kiosk outside panels for key messaging.
- The following amounts were granted from Area B Select Funds:
- $8,000 to the Lillooet Agriculture and Food Society to leverage a grant application for $11,000 to the Buy Local Program.
- $2,000 to the Bridge River Indian Band to help with the cost of operating the Bridge River‐ Lillooet Link Bus six days per week from July 4, 2016 to September 2, 2016.
- The following amounts were granted from Area C Select Funds:
- $2,500 to Tourism Pemberton for a Gold Sponsorship for the 2016 Slow Food Cycle Sunday event being held August 21, 2016.
- The following amounts were granted from Area D Select Funds:
- $10,000 to the Britannia Mine Museum for the Britannia Mine Museum Solar Project, subject to the confirmation of receipt of $20,000 from Squamish Savings.
- $600 to the Furry Creek Community Association to purchase aggregate to repair an existing pathway on the Furry Creek Spit.
Communications & Grants Coordinator
Telephone: (604) 894-6371 ext. 239