Note from Chair Crompton: The SLRD 2017 budget has been adopted! Thanks to great input from our communities, hard work from staff and the focus of the Board we wrapped it up early. This year’s budget includes $1M in borrowing for a major renovation of the SLRD offices. The Board is enthusiastic about creating a functional and healthy work place for SLRD staff. If you have questions or comments please call me on 1- 604-902-8747.
The 2017-2021 SLRD Financial Plan has been adopted by the Board. The Sea to Sky Regional Hospital Board has adopted the 2017 Financial Plan.
Administrative Building Renovation Loan Authorization
The Aster Street administration building renovation project, upon approval of the SLRD electors, will be financed via a 15-year term Municipal Finance Authority loan of up to $1,000,000 with approval of the electors to be obtained via Alternative Approval Process (AAP). As such, the SLRD Board gave first, second and third readings to Loan Authorization Bylaw No. 1519-2017 and has forwarded this bylaw to the Inspector of Municipalities for approval prior to undertaking the AAP process.
Pemberton Music Festival – Temporary Use Permit (Additional Parking)
The SLRD Board approved Temporary Use Permit No. 48 for additional parking during the Pemberton Music Festival for a three-year term.
Asset Management Policy
The SLRD Board approved Asset Management Policy No. 9-2017. SLRD staff will now develop an Asset Management Strategy and the Asset Management Framework that will drive Asset Management Plans.
Child and Youth Mental Health and Substance Use Collaborative Resolution
A resolution was forwarded to the Lower Mainland Local Government Association requesting that the Province continue to fund the Child and Youth Mental Health and Substance Use Collaborative beyond 2017 for their work to improve and potentially save the lives of children and youth struggling with mental health and substance abuse issues in British Columbia.
Pitch-In Week – April 22 - 29, 2017
The SLRD Board proclaims the week of April 22 - 29, 2017 as Pitch-In Week across the Regional District and has issued a clean-up challenge to the SLRD member municipalities for a 20-minute lunchtime garbage pickup blitz on any day during Pitch-In Week.
SLRD Zoning Bylaw Amendment – Portage Road, Area C
SLRD Electoral Area C Zoning Bylaw No. 765, 2002, Amendment Bylaw No. 1497-2016 regarding the potential rezoning and subdivision of 9118 Portage Road has received second reading. A public hearing will now be scheduled to provide the public with information and an opportunity to make comments.
Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Tourism Association – Municipal Regional District Tax
A letter will be provided to the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Tourism Association supporting their application for the Municipal Regional District Tax provided that the District of Lillooet is supportive of this application.
Community Wildfire Protections Plans for Electoral Area C and Area D
The SLRD Board has adopted the Electoral Areas C and D Community Wildfire Protection Plan updates and supports applications for grant funds from the Union of British Columbia Municipalities’ Strategic Wildfire Prevention Initiative in Electoral Areas C and D.
Economic Development Task Force – Pemberton& District Chamber of Commerce
The SLRD accepted an invitation to attend a joint meeting with the Pemberton & District Chamber of Commerce and the Village of Pemberton to establish next steps for creating a starting point for Economic Development collaboration for the Pemberton area.
Pemberton Transfer Station Hours of Operation
The Pemberton Transfer Station will be operating with additional morning hours (7:00 AM to 10:00 AM) and a later closing time (7:00 PM) on Monday, Wednesday and Friday on a trial basis from May 15, 2017 to September 15, 2017.
Proposed Soccer Field – Pemberton Farm Road East
The Village of Pemberton and the SquamishLillooet Regional District are exploring the possibility of adding a proposed soccer field (located on the Pemberton Farm Road East lands gifted by the Den Duyf family to the Village of Pemberton) to the Pemberton & District Recreation Service with the Village of Pemberton to be the project manager for this project.
Gates Lake Park
The old cabin at Gates Lake Park will be removed to make way for a picnic area with a roof and concrete slab.
$6,000 was granted to the Stewardship Pemberton Society from Area C Funds for the construction of a deck extension at the One Mile Lake Nature Centre to house a three-dimensional watershed model of the Upper Lillooet River.
The following was granted from Area A Select Funds:
- $7,896 to the Bralorne Community Advisory Committee of the Bridge River Valley Community Association towards the following projects and activities:
- $1,200 for the Ball Diamond Fencing Project; o $1,000 for a Ball Tournament Coordinator for 2017;
- $2,214 for Bralorne Recreation Area Funding Support for 2017;
- $1,482 for Capital Infrastructure Upgrades; and
- $2,000 for a Community Coordinator.
The following was granted from Area C Select Funds:
- $1,000 to the Pemberton & Area Back Country Horsemen Association for an equestrian clinic at Masaya Farm in July.
- $1,000 to the Sea to Sky Clean Air Society to assist with costs for the Bike to Work Week event in Pemberton and area.
The following was granted from Area D Select Funds:
- Up to $2,500 to the District of Squamish towards shared costs with the District of Squamish and Electoral Area D for a Agricultural Land Use Inventory to support an Agricultural Plan for the District of Squamish and Electoral Area D.
- $1,000 to the Britannia Beach Volunteer Fire Department to purchase a projector for PowerPoint presentations for training purposes at the Britannia Beach Fire Hall.
The following was granted from the Pemberton and District Community Fund:
- $1,500 to the Pemberton Off Road Cycling Association towards trail building workshops for Pemberton and area trail users.
- $3,000 to the Pemberton Secondary School - Senior Girls Basketball Team towards the cost of sending 10 players to the Provincials in Duncan.
- $5,431 to the Pemberton Arts Council for After School Art Camps.
Regional District Update is published monthly by the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District. The SLRD Board generally meets on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 10:30 am at 1350 Aster Street, Pemberton, BC. Members of the public are invited to attend. Contact us at (604) 894-6371 to confirm dates and times.
Communications & Grants Coordinator
Telephone: (604) 894-6371 ext. 239