Here is a summary of decisions made at the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Board and Committee meetings in April 2017.
Note from Chair Crompton: Our lakes are thawing and the spring run off is in full effect. If you haven't seen Area A Director Demare's pictures of the 3 hour thaw of Gun Lake you should have a look. Please monitor the water courses around our communities and let the SLRD staff know about any areas of concern. The brand new Anderson Lake Dock is in place. Plans for the redevelopment of waterfront of Britannia Beach are in the public realm. The 10 Mile Slide work has begun. All in all... lots happening in the SLRD! If you have questions or comments please call me at 1-604-902-8747.
2016 Audited Financial Statements
The SLRD Board approved the 2016 Audited Financial Statements. The Sea to Sky Regional Hospital Board approved the 2016 Audited Financial Statements.
The SLRD will undertake the completion of floodplain mapping in the Upper Squamish Valley using the $150,000 in grant funding provided by the Province of British Columbia for that purpose.
The SLRD has received a financial grant from the Government of Canada and the Province for the Pinecrest Estates Sewer System replacement project for an amount not to exceed $1,657,020.
Regional Growth Strategy Amendment
In response to and recognition of comments received in letters from the Squamish Nation and Garibaldi At Squamish Inc., the SLRD resolved to initiate a Regional Growth Strategy major amendment to address specific text amendments in support of the SLRD RGS Goal 1: Focus Development into Compact, Complete, Sustainable Communities, and prepare a Consultation Plan regarding same.
Taicheng Development Corporation – Development Application
The Board received an update on the Taicheng Development Corporation application to amend the Area D Official Community Plan and zoning for Britannia Beach South.
Taicheng Development Corporation – Office Trailer Temporary Use Permit
The SLRD approved Temporary Use Permit No. 49 to Taicheng Development to allow an office trailer onsite for a three-year term.
Rise & Shine Fundraiser Temporary Use Permit– Area C
The SLRD approved Temporary Use Permit No. 51 to Ashleigh McIvor Demerit for a three-year term in order to allow for a one-day fundraiser event for the Rise & Shine Foundation.
Municipal Regional District Tax
The SLRD will provide a letter of support for the Municipal Regional District Tax application by the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Tourism Association for a period of 5 years, as such application pertains to SLRD Electoral Area A and Electoral Area B.
Electoral Area C Agricultural Advisory Committee
The following appointments were made to the Electoral Area C Agricultural Advisory Committee:
- a. David Tanner
- b. Jaye-Jay Berggren
- c. Niki Vankerk
- d. Randy Lincks
- e. Geoff McLeod
- f. Sam Casavant
- g. Chad Gilmore
- h. Susie Gimse
Staffing at the Pemberton Medical Clinic
The Sea to Sky Regional Hospital District Board will provide the support requested by the Village of Pemberton, Electoral Area C Director, N'Quatqua and Lil’wat Nation regarding the impact on citizens of the reduction in staffing levels and hours at the Pemberton Medical Clinic.
Gas Tax Fund Strategic Priorities Fund
The SLRD will submit an application to the Gas Tax Agreement - Strategic Priorities Fund for a capital project to develop the SLRD-owned lot in the Pemberton Industrial Park for a new transfer station to be located on that lot.
BC Rural Dividend Fund
The SLRD will apply for funding of $10,000 from the 2017 Rural Dividend Fund Program to establish and convene an Intergovernmental Relations Committee composed of representatives from local and Stl’atl’imx governments in the Pemberton region to oversee the implementation of the recommendations from the Nuk’wan’twal Regional Gathering Event Report.
Rural Dividend Fund – Financial Statement Requirements
The SLRD will send a letter to the Rural Dividend Fund Program Secretariat asking them to consider easing the requirements for review engagement and audited financial statements for grants to non-profit organizations.
Base Technology Limited
A letter of support was provided for Base Technology Limited's application to the Connect to Innovate program for the construction of extended backbone fibre Internet services in Electoral Area C and Electoral Area D.
Further communication and consultation with the four SLRD communities being serviced by society-operated fire services (Birken, Bralorne, Gun Lake and Seton) will be undertaken to advise the communities of the viable options available for delivery of fire protection services.
Grants in Aid
The following was granted from the Area B Northern Payments in Lieu of Taxes Allocation Reserve:
- $25,000 to the Lillooet Agriculture & Food Society Board (LAFS) for wages and administrative costs to coordinate and implement the LAFS 2017-2018 Operational Plan.
The following was granted from Area B’s portion of the 2017 Northern Development Initiative Trust Economic Development Capacity Building grant:
- $20,000 to the Lillooet Agriculture & Food Society Board (LAFS) to implement projects in the LAFS Operational Plan.
The following was granted from the Pemberton and District Community Fund:
- $1,250 to the Rotary Club of Pemberton for a Silver Sponsor for the 12th Annual Rotary Club of Pemberton and Pemberton & District Chamber of Commerce annual golf tournament fundraiser.
The following were granted from Area A Select Funds:
- $3,250 to the Lillooet Regional Invasive Species Society for invasives programming for 2017.
- $750 to the Bridge River Valley Community Association to assist the Lillooet Regional Invasive Species Society with invasives programming for 2017.
The following were granted from Area B Select Funds:
- $2,000 to Xaxli'p towards hosting the St'at'mc Nation's commemorative tribute of the "Declaration of the Lillooet Tribe of 1910" gathering to be held on May 9, 10 and 11, 2017 at Xaxli'p community.
- $2,500 to the Miyazaki House Society for their Summer Music Program.
The following was granted from Area C Select Funds:
- $2,500 to the Rotary Club of Pemberton for a Gold Sponsorship for the 12th Annual Rotary Club of Pemberton and Pemberton & District Chamber of Commerce annual golf tournament fundraiser on June 15, 2017.
The following were granted from Area D Select Funds:
- $2,500 to the Squamish Arts Council for the ArtWalk 150 project for sourcing art from artists in Electoral Area D, coordinating venues in Electoral Area D and assisting with program materials.
- $4,000 for temporary toilet facilities, a small commercial garbage bin and signage for the 2017 fishing season on the shores of the Furry Creek community near Oliver's Landing
The Regional District Update is published monthly by the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District. The SLRD Board generally meets on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 10:30 am at 1350 Aster Street, Pemberton, BC. Members of the public are invited to attend. Contact us at (604) 894-6371 to confirm dates and times.
Communications & Grants Coordinator
Telephone: (604) 894-6371 ext. 239