The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District recommends always reporting wildlife encounters as well as unsecured wildlife attractants. Agencies rely on the public to share relevant information to help keep the public safe and wildlife wild. Wildlife encounters are best reported to the provincial Conservation Officers through the 24 hour R.A.P.P hotline at 1-877-952-7277 or online at rapp.bc.ca.
Wildlife Attractant Bylaws
The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District and all of our member municipalities have bylaws to regulate proper management of wildlife attractants and to offer enforcement tools to help reduce wildlife incidents while maintaining public safety. Learn more about those bylaws below.
The SLRD bylaw applies to Electoral Areas A, B, C and D. In general, the following is required in regards to managaing attractants:
- A person must not store any Solid Waste that is an Attractant in such a manner that it is accessible to Wildlife.
- A person must not leave, place or store outdoors any Solid Waste that is an attractant unless stored in both a Wildlife Resistant Container and in a Wildlife Resistant Enclosure. An exception to the above from 6:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on the day designated by the Regional District for Solid waste collection.
- Every owner and occupier of real property must ensure that a Wildlife Resistant Container or a Wildlife Resistant Enclosure located on the property is of a size that is suitable for the amount of refuse generated and is kept clean, secure and good working condition.
- Every owner must ensure fallen fruit is removed from the ground within 3 days.
- Bird feeders are inaccessible to wildlife.
- Composting is maintained in a manner so as to not attract wildlife.
- Barbeque equipment and tools are free of residual food and grease.
- Any device or apparatus that contains attractants and is stored outside must be inaccessible to wildlife.
- Bees, beehives and hens are kept in a manner inaccessible to wildlife and enclosed with electric fencing.
For more details please review the full bylaw linked above.
Report unsecured attractants to the SLRD: email@example.com or (604) 894-6371 (Toll-free: 1-800-298-7753).
Report unsecured attractants to the District of Squamish: firstname.lastname@example.org or (604) 815-5067.
Report unsecured attractants to the Resort Municipality of Whistler: email@example.com or (604) 935-8280.
Report unsecured attractants to the Village of Pemberton: firstname.lastname@example.org or (604) 894-6135 ext 246.
Rerport unsecured attrantants to the District of Lillooet:email@example.com or call (250) 291-0702.